Thursday, May 26, 2005

All Things ARE Possible with God

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
- Phillipians 4:13

This is my testimony. Soccer means a lot to me, i breathe soccer, think soccer and dream soccer. It's not my number one priority, but it's up there among the top. For all of you who don't know, I'm a die hard Liverpool fan. And...if you're wondering... it's a disgrace if you know me personally and still don't know :P

Liverpool made it through to the finals of the Champions League last week after beating many tough opponents with likes of Chelsea and Juventus. Well, i never thought that they would make it so far. I've been praying hard for them to win this pretigous european cup despite the one-sided odds which favoured the Italian giants, AC Milan.

I woke up at 4.30am this morning to record the live game, and i had a clash of priorities. haha! Soccer? Or more sleep for exams? The former ran the latter over, and i covered myself with a blanket on the couch in front of the TV for a game that sent thrills down the spines of every spectator. No scriptwriter could have wrote such a suspense-filled story. I was really depressed when Maldini scored a goal for Milan in just ONE minute. -.-" Then Crespo struck twice, leaving Liverpool in the slumps. 3-0 down at half time. I was beginning to think that i woke up early, saacrificing 2 more hours of sleep and possibly a good exam grade, in vain. I started to pray my guts out. I knew that God would hear me, but i didn't know if he would actually act on a soccer game. haha! But he sure did... no one else could have done it except him.

Liverpool made an outstanding come back straight from the restart, scoring 3 goals in just 7 minutes against, arguably, the world's best defence. The captain, Steven Gerrard, guided a precise header past Dida into the top right hand corner for the first goal. There was a slight glimpse of hope. Just minutes later, Xabi Alonso faked a shot at the edge of the penalty box, passed it on to Hamman who faked a shot and passed it on to Smicer, who made no mistake about his shot, sending a rappler into the far left hand corner, leaving Dida totally stunned. And as though it was a dream come true, Gerrard strode into the penalty area with extreme pace, picked up a clever flick by Luis Garcia and got brought down by Gattusso! A penalty! Alonso took the ball to the spot, got a shot through the second time after his initial attempt was saved cleverly by Dida. It was a remarkable comeback. But it was a stalemate through the rest of normal time, as well as extra time. I knew it was a test of faith from God.

As everyone knows, Penalty Shootouts are the reason why soccer's so popular. If you've never experienced a full-on intense penalty shootout in your life, you'd be missing on one quality that makes life precious - suspense. The intensity was tremendous, i was screaming whenever AC Milan failed to convert, and heaved a heavy sigh when Liverpool scored. By the 4th kick, AC Milan had only converted 2, while Liverpool made 3 accurate strikes. Shevchenko, the European Player of the Year, was to take Milan's fourth shot. If he missed, Liverpool would be the new Champions of Europe. Well, he missed. I was screaming my guts out, running up and down the corridor and sliding on the carpet. haha! I was hysterical!

Yea, i just wanna thank God for giving Liverpool a hand. There was no way Jerzy Dudek could have made some of the saves he did in the game, especially the one at the end of extra time when he somehow managed to make two brilliant saves off Shevchenko's goal-bound shots. Ohh...my hair's gonna be KOP Red after my exams are over!

I think i did pretty well for my History and English papers today. I felt really tired. Ahh! I've got to study for Psychology, Math and Vis Comm tomorrow! And i've also gotta catch up on my sleep! God Help me! haha!

No comments: