Saturday, August 20, 2005

Excellence?

I remember when i was young. When my parents and teachers, uncles and aunties, grandfathers and grandmothers would always tell me to push as hard as i can, to take every opportunity that comes in my way to excel. I tried hard, i really did...but there never seemed to be many opportunities.

Right now, i'm doing Soccer, Table-tennis and Athletics for school. And those commitments are weighing down on me like a ton of bricks. I mean, i can still cope with my work and all, barely, but still sustainable. That's the maximum weight of commitments. As most of you already know, i went to try out for State Futsal last week, and my second trial is suppose to be today, now actually. But i thought about it this morning, and i realised that it would "beef" up my "resume" in the future to have a "State Futsal Player" beside my name, but it would suffocate my academic life.

Sigh...i really want to try out and all. And we'll get to play in Sydney and in Adelaide. But the amount of time sacrificed to training and preparing, the amount of commit is just overwhelming. The priority for me now is to get into the school table-tennis team. I'm going for the trials this tuesday, but i'm not too confident. Argh... i feel really terrible. I used to long for opportunities, and i got what i wanted. All at one go. I'm just overwhelmed. I can't possible take up all of them....sigh...it really hurts my heart to let a chance like this slip, but some sacrifices have to be made.

Then again, when i think about it. That's not the end of my life. I'm sure that tons of other opportunities will come my way. And i'm sure that i'll let more of them slip, but what matters is that i take as many of them, and make the best choice i can, one commitment at the time. I have to choose my VCE subjects in a few weeks time, and i'm still in a frenzy. Sigh... i'm approaching a point of utter confusion.

But i take comfort because i know this:

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord.
"Plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."
-Jeremiah 11:29

No comments: