Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Secret Place

I just wanna do quick personal post before i head off for soccer. God really spoke to me today, in a really significant way which relates to a vital part of my life. Dave Lawton gave a sermon on 1 Sam 16 where God told Samuel to annoint David as king. Well.. put it this way..

When you meet someone, you'd have a first impression of them based on how they look. Are they pretty? handsome? short? tall? blonde or brunette? And this would affect the way you would talk to them; whether you talk to them respectfully, timdly, confidently, politely... whatever. When you go to a party, you'd look out for the most attractive pple to befriend, totally ignoring, or just simply acknowledging, the ones that don't catch your eye.

This is widely ignored by society. EVERYONE knows about it, and they know that there's something WRONG about it, but NO ONE ever mentions it. Well, i'm just gonna pluck up a lil courage to share my view, you don't have to agree with me.. but i'd find much solace if you did.

I've always been the shortest in the class since my first year of school, and i didn't really care in the past because everyone was so innocent, and height didn't really matter. But i as i grew older, everyone placed more importance on whether one was attractive or not.. girls liked tall and handsome young lads, that's what made "looking-good" important to guys. Well, i know i'm short.. but i find it increasingly often that pple bag me about my height, discriminate against me in one way or another, or simply have conversations about height. I woul feel extremely uncomfortable whenever pple mentioned height in a conversation. But i feel different about it now...

Dave shared that David was the youngest amongst all his brothers, and all his other brothers, especially the oldest one, were taller (and probably more handsome) than he was. I was shocked when he quoted:

"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." - 1 Sam 16:7

God chose David, a man after His own heart.

I went home and continued my daily reading on Psalms. I read Psalms 136-139 and a few versus really caught me. David wrote:

" For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because i am FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY made; your works are wonderful, i know that full well." - Psalm 139:13-14

It hit me hard on the head that God looks ONLY at the heart! He doesn't care if i was tall or handsome, or even if i was short and ugly! It wouldn't have MATTERED a SINGLE BIT because i was FEARFULLY and WONDERFULLY made by Him! I myself am guilty of doing what i described above.. i treat pretty girls different from the way i treat other girls.. and that's just disgusting. What' matters is what a person's "inmost being" is like. That's what God is interested in! Humility, self-control, LOVE, altruistic kindness, and the Fear of the Lord. These are the qualities are what God looks at! Society should perceive humans this way too. I want to have a heart after God's own heart.. i want to look at others the way God looks at them.. at their inmost being and not at their outward appearance.. i desire the things that God desires.. humility, love, faithfulness..

I've prayed to God at times, "God, if it's according to your will, please make me taller for i am despised." but i'll NEVER pray for that again.. instead, i'd love to pray just as David did...

" Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24

No comments: