Monday, June 30, 2008

Daz's Miracle


Bitter gourd juice. I can't think of another reason why anyone would drink it besides the fact that it's highly effective in preventing acne. I, unfortunately, am a victim of this destructive gene and have become subject to the delightful essence of bitter gourd at least once a week.

It doesn't taste half as bad as it sounds! Nevertheless, i would gulp it down as quickly as i could when i first started drinking it. However, i found myself subconsciously taking small sips while talking to lil sis on the phone just then. I was almost enjoying it! haha!

Here's a brilliant suggestion for all bubble tea shops out there: Bitter gourd milk/bubble tea/ snow shakes/ smoothies. YUM!


Here's another miracle to add to the year 2008. Darren (aka Daz) was one of the many high schoolers that weren't allowed to come for the upcoming Fungus camp. Initially, his mum said that the $140 sign up fee was too dear. So, a few of us leaders agreed to chip in to for a subsidy. With the price problem resolved, however, his mum said that she didn't want Daz to be involved with too many Christian activities; the underlying reason from the very beginning. Her decision came as a DEAD END. Her adamant claim eradicated every ray of hope for Daz.

It was about this time last week when i decided to pray and fast. During that time, i managed to finish reading John Eldredge's Wild At Heart. In his last chapter, Elredge writes about taking a step of faith to live out the exciting adventure that God has planned for us.

"Most men spend the enery of their lives trying to eliminate risk, or squeezing it down to a more manageable size."

"Our false self demands a formula before he'll engage; he wants a guarantee of success, and mister, you aren't going to get one. So there comes a time in a man's life when he's got to break away from all that and head off into the unknown with God. This is a vital part of our journey and if we balk here, the journey ends."

God spoke to me while i was reading this in a way that seemed all too familiar. I love it how God speaks to us in ways that suits our individual characters such that we feel so comfortable, so at ease. God put within my heart a burning passion to fight for what I believe in. He said that He'll always be there for me. He'll be my strength. He'll give me the breastplate of righteousness, the belt of truth, a sword, a helment, a shield. He would fight WITH me, but if i wanted to win the battle, i would have to take a step of faith; pick up my sword and start waving it around like a madman.

The message was clear and i knew it was for Daz cuz he was always on my mind throughout this encounter with God. But i didn't know whether it was from God, or was my mind feeding my need for answers with subconscious rationalisations? I prayed for wisdom and discernment just as Soloman did. No answer.

I saw Darren at church the next day and i told him what i thought God had said to me. I told him that if he really wanted to come for camp, he had to fight for it. He had to sit his mum down and tell him exactly why he wanted to go for the camp in a serious and resolute tone. He looked rather startled initially, but i was glad that he was taking me seriously. He didn't know where to start. So I sat him down and asked him a simple question: Why do you want to go for camp?
Doubt started to creep into my heart when he struggled to find a response.

Why am i so concerned for Darren's walk with God? I see in him something many others ought to have: a pure heart.

That was 6 days from camp. And just today (2 days from camp), he sent me this text:

"Hey... just thought i'd tell you something... I'M GOING CAMP!!!!"

Praise the Lord for He is faithful!

No comments: