Monday, March 19, 2007

Unfailing Love

You have my heart,
I am Yours forever.
You are my strength,
God of Grace and Power.

Everything you hold in your hands,
Still you make time for me.
I can't understand..

My heart quivered as i listened to this old song. I know i've blogged about it before, but it never fails to touch my heart. God's unfailing love for me never changes, no matter how much wrong i've committed against him, no matter what i've said against him.. he still forgives.. because of his unfailing love. Who am i that He should love me this much?

I spent the last week back in Singapore. I received the news that my grand dad had passed away while i was on the plane. Well, i was sad, but i wasn't shocked as i had already been expecting it for a long time waiting. I didn't understand at first. I was praying relentlessly, day and night for God to heal him; to work a miracle that will be seen by many unbelievers that they too may come to believe! But i've learnt that God has His will, he gives and takes away as he pleases... and He does all things for the good of those who love him. I know my grand dad was suffering terribly from the cancer in his lungs, and i know he really wanted to be with Jesus more than he wanted to stay alive and endure the pain. I guess God granted him peace. He passed away peacefully in his sleep, in his bedroom, in a comfortably and restful posture.

I made a mini-testimony, a small tribute for my grand dad. There was a period of time allocated for anyone to make brief speeches about recollections of the times spent to my grand dad. Well, i was really eager to share about what a great man my grand dad was! So i got up there immediately, only with a slight hint of hesitation; which was naturally in a crowd of more than 40 people.

I remember going on a holiday to Thailand with my grand dad once, and he were at a street market. This lady was selling a cushion for $3. My grand dad took a firm glance at her, looked at me and said, "this is how you bargain". He picked up two cushions and said, "two for $3".

haha! That made me laugh my guts out! My grand dad had a knack for pulling these kindda corny, yet funny joke outta nowhere. He always had a smile on his face, i can hardly remember a time when a frown darkened his face except when he was struggling with that horrid disease - cancer. I told the audience that my grand dad was a GREAT inspiration to me because he spent about 3 hours everyday just reading the Word, and he showed avid enthusiasm in it. His thirst for God's Word was undying, and that was what inspired me to read God's Word everyday; no excuses. Even when he was suffering from that dreaded disease, he still found time for God.. with the very few moments that he had in each feeble day, for every moment God kept his eyes open and his mind fresh, he would thank God ever so much for it. That's my grand dad.

I ended my speech by saying, "I know all of you have come here to pay your last respects, or a tribute, to my grand dad. But what would please him most, more than your visit here, is that you would take something away from his life, so that he would not have lived in vain. He's inspired me to read the bible everyday, and i urge you to do the same."

My grand dad was a great man who served a great God.

On my way to church that Sunday, i decided to jot down whatever came into my mind... something that i haven't done in ages. See, this blog has it's limits because lots of pple read it, and so i can't be too personal. But here's what i wrote that Sunday:

"I arrived in Singapore 40 minutes earlier. The flight had the usual turbulence, 2 fantastic movies (The illusionist & De Javu). The note of DEATH was struck just moments after we walked out of the baggage terminal. The blow was anticipated; but it was much weaker than predicted, much like the taming of the suspense conjured up by an inflating balloon on the verge of popping. There's life. and everyone takes it for granted. Yet there's Death; which sends shivers down the tingy spines of half the total inhabitants of this doomed planet: A quarter maimed by hunger, they spend most of their time searching desperately for shelter, looking intently for their next source of liquid substinenece. Shame. It's such as these that care for life, and yet lie in the wait for the joyous grip of death which delivers them from the torment of the undying cravings deep in their abdomens, and the pains of hopelessness - a flame on a matchstick floated in a sea of hopeless destitute."

I know it's kindda random. No comments at the moment.

It's cultural diversity week and the SRC in my school have organised a couple of events to celebrate the occasion; one of which will be a mini-soccer 7-a-side tournment consisting of four separate teams:
- Wogs
- Skips
- Asians
- Curries

lol! I was laughing my head off when Stevie told me about it! It sounds more like a racial battle than a harmonious gathering of the different cultures. haha! Well, racism is more evident than what everyone thinks it to be.. there are a lot of bloody racists in my school that flaunt their racist remarks publicly thinking that it's perfectly fine since everyone regards them as mere jokes. Well, it all starts with an idea which will eventually grow into a reality. Provoke a sleeping giant and prepare to be clobbered.

Stevie, Tommy, Jase and i are the only asians in the soccer team now, and i often hear the other team members making really crappy remarks about my close friends.. about their lack of skill, their weaknesses and flaws, etc. Sigh.. i can't help but cease the opportunity tmr to teach them a racial lesson. Sigh.. why do we have to do this???????????????

yea, it seems like a joke when the entire school will be watching us play it out... but is it really a joke deep down in their hearts??? i see a lingering passion deep within everyone (i'm not excluded) for their own race to be dominant.

No comments: