Monday, May 14, 2007

A Fading Gift...

Something struck me really hard while i was doing my QT yesterday. I was reading Paul's comments in the book of Corinthians. He wrote:

"Yet when i preach the gospel, i cannot boast, for i am compelled to preach. Woe to me if i do not preach the gospel! If i preach voluntarily, i have a reward, if not voluntarily, i am simply discharging the trust committed to me." - 1 Cor 9:16-17

That perked all the guilty senses within me. An overwhelming thought dawned on me as i read that passage. God gave me an amazing gift of composing songs and poems. Although i'm terrible at music, He graciously taught me how to play the guitar. If you do know me well, you'll know that i can't read scales and i'm just pathetic when it comes to music. And yet God's blessed me with such a gift!

I feel guilty because i haven't been using it to glorify him. I've been too busy with my soccer on the weekends, too busy with all my study, too busy hanging out with friends during my spare time, too busy watching soccer, too busy doing EVERYTHING else but to spend some time faithfully exercising the gift God gave me.

I used to sit alone in my room and pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Then a tune, or lyrics would just flow into my mind, which would all eventually translate into a song.

"Woe to me if i do not preach the gospel!" That's what Paul said. I should be saying the same thing. I am compelled to compose songs. Woe to me if i don't do so! I don't want to "discharge the trust" God committed to me. That would be amoral!

I know the songs i compose aren't the best of songs. I'm not good at playing the guitar. My voice is terrible, but what's the point of keeping all the songs, that God has composed through me, all to myself? I decided to do some makeshift recordings of all my songs and upload them on my blog with the lyrics and the main guitar chords so that ordinary pple can worship God at home.

I'm committed to recording one song a day, and i'll post them up really soon. So.. yea, i hope that'll please God. I'm currently in a dry season. I haven't written a song in AGES.. and i think it's come as a result of my uncommitment towards God. But i hope He'll see the change in me, and continue to work wonders! :)

I give all glory to God for all these songs. I cannot boast, for i am compelled to do so.

No comments: